Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sparks Joy ~ Collections


I am a collector- I have multiple collections and they bring me much joy and for many reasons. I have a collection of: G's, vases, patterned paper, memories, Christmas decorations, books, Starbucks things, Lego Minifigures, pretty images and words, blog posts, and photographs among other things.

Some of my collections are ongoing and some are finished. Some are small and some are quite large.

While some weigh heavily on me from a volume or investment perspective I try not to care because they really do bring me much joy. At any time I can view many of my collections around my home, while others come out for special occasions- like the Christmas Decorations.

I have had collections for as long as I can remember. Starting with the bird cards from the Greggs jelly, and plastic toys from Nana's cornflakes, and flowers picked from the garden and displayed in multiple vessels in my bedroom. At one time I collected stamps and another I collected Erasers and stickers like many children do.

I have moved on from some collections like my antique Tobacco tin collection and my Smurfs, I kept a few favourites of both. I gave away my entire collection of Next Magazines (from the very first issue) to make space for a new baby.

I rue the day I couldn't justify the cost an addition to my vase collection- but the memory of the day spent adventuring with a good friend give a joyful perspective to the memory. Sometimes the hunt adds to the joy of a good collection.

I enjoy looking at the collections of others online and in real life. One of the best parts of Pinterest is having a great collection (boards) of collections that you could never hope to have in your home all in one place. A collection of inspiration as well.

I'm not sure I'd like to start any more collections- I get great joy from what I have- but it's enough.

Sparks Joy is a weekly post where I highlight some of the things that spark Joy for me.

No comments: