Monday, October 19, 2015

This week on the web....

There's still lots going on at my place at the moment so not really any real time for reading but here's what I did see.....

Mental health benefits to delaying academic instruction for young children- This is huge, I hope the governments are listening!
“We found that delaying kindergarten for one year reduced inattention and hyperactivity by 73 percent for an average child at age 11,” Dee said, “and it virtually eliminated the probability that an average child at that age would have an ‘abnormal,’ or higher-than-normal rating for the inattentive-hyperactive behavioral measure.”
 I love Kikki-K's Advent card- it goes in my Daily December every year!




I never knew there was such a thing as Dyslexia Empowerment week- I think it's great that there is! As a side note Jackie French the author mentioned in this post is one of my favourites as well.

I think quite possibly I want all these books for the kids!! I have already seen Life is like the Wind in real life- we brought it for a cousin when her Grandad was dying- an excellent book for grief and loss.

How we teach reading in Australia is different to how we teach it in NZ- I think a mix of both and a little something more is what is needed. As a mother of a couple of kids who taught themselves to read one at age 3.5 years and one in spite of Dyslexia all because they were read too daily from birth I know it doesn't have to be hard.

No comments: