Monday, March 16, 2015

This week on the web....

First do no harm.... well say the doctors it seemed logical that fat would make you fat- we didn't have any evidence but we made a huge recommendation based on it anyway. And then there's the nuts... some smart cookie figured if we avoid nuts for a while we won't get nut allergies.... um except we don't have any evidence to support it... but lets make a recommendation anyway and sit back while the rate of allergies increases at an alarming rate over the next 13 or so years... it's enough to pretty much undermine your trust in the so-called experts I reckon.

PSA: Skip Thai Shrimp.

Teacher Tom this week: No Bad Guys... there are some people (grown-ups) who think they need to make rules for kids... as Napoleon Dynamite would say: "Idiots".

This article on Fat cells was interesting if somewhat depressing... I need to move back to Dunedin so I can freeze my butt off.... literally. :-)

Probably not 'only' in America but still... Innocence is not enough to get you out of Prison.

This is quite long but interestin- some people lead amazing lives- I kind of hope I can be one of them one day: The Proper Weight of Fear.

I've read a lot of the Livesay Haiti Blog this week- mostly older stuff about the Earthquake in 2010. But I thought this was a good post as well- I think the sentiment applies world over.
And this one about adoption- totally takes the romance out- which is a really good thing, I'd love to adopt a baby that has no family, but I totally know I don't have the skills to handle the tough side of it. It's such a sad and complex thing. 
I was also led to a couple of old posts about Unicef- I don't know if things have changed much in the last 5 years but I expect not... WWUNICEFD  and International Adoption: Unicef's and Other Critics’ War Against International Adoption

In one of her posts Tara said: "The new phases of parenting we are entering, are just weird. Balancing parenting a two-year-old, pre-schoolers, a pre-teen, and a very mature teenager makes us feel like freaks of nature. In many ways we are freaks of nature. One minute I am potty training one and the next minute I am discussing student-loans and college applications with another. Potty training is so easy." That's how I feel on a daily basis we have such diverse needs in our family right now it's exhausting.

I'm bookmarking How I learned to Fall asleep in under a minute- because I want to try it!

And the same goes for this Mayo and dressing recipe.

I thought the 'Your Logical Fallacy' Poster was cool.

I loved this article by Julie Kirk but not for anything book binding related- the introvert anxiety stuff was what made me happy.... it's not just me! 


 This is my sort of t-shirt!

 
Discovered an Etsy store of Fairy Goodness. Large Fairy Letter kit.


 And a teeny tiny fairy door- would be cool to get one of these for our Gumtree and surprise the boys. :-)

No comments: