Monday, February 9, 2015

This week on the web....

How my goodness if you could see the stuff I have looked at on the internet this week... far too much time spent on Serial... you know it's bad when you google image search Livor Mortis. I've read the last words of Texas Death Row Inmates and watched videos of court in session! And I read the Maryland Courts Cosa Order granting Adnan Leave to appeal. I've read about feminism and trolling and watched one of the best Jimmy Fallon Lip Sync contests ever!

Here's some stuff you may want to read too.....

How quickly can you lose weight? At Marks Daily Apple.
What does it mean to be Fat Adapted
And part 2 with a Q & A.  

Lots more information on Fat and how it doesn't make you fat... and how they never could find any evidence linking it to heart disease... that was just a theory that took hold!

Low Carb lifestyle how to get the family on board is really just about getting the kids on board... but there are some cool resources.

I read Glennons: Cool ashes don't burn. Which lead me to Laura's post that she wrote about the abuse she suffered and a good thing that happened. I read a whole bunch of her blog and she said "You guys, that expression, leading lives of quiet desperation, is a REAL THING" and it made me take a deep breath. It also led me to her sister Aimee's Blog, which is rich and heavy, oh so heavy.

On a MUCH lighter note Glennon reposted this funny story. I want one of those cups!

The Value of Remembering Ordinary Moments reminded me that there was a project I wanted to do with Kieran this year- and I am already 5 days behind!

What happened when I confronted my cruellest Troll was a pretty intense read- and I was in tears listening to the show she did with TAL and Ira Glass- both for Lindy and the Troll. 

Talking about 'Intense' a side note to say Will has been trying the word out this week- "That storm was pretty intense eh mum?" it's sweet.

I liked this quote in The Case for an Ordinary Life:
"When we are content in our ordinary life, we free up so much energy to embrace opportunity, to be idle and to dream. And that’s when extraordinary things can happen – if you want them to."
A quote of a quote from Shauna Niequsts article "You're Never Going to be Fully Ready" on the Storylines Blog:
“There are so many things I want to do this year, and I realize that I’ve been trying to think it all through for so long. But you know what? I’ll never have all the information. I’ll never know all there is to know about something. Sometimes you just have to act.”
That is very much me.... only I never get to the act part.

Yeah I know another article about education in America.... but it is also about Australia because they are teaching young children to read to young over here too, and taking the precious time they have left to play before school learning and direct instruction invades their lives.... just ignore the parts about Common Core... it makes me so sad and angry.
"Many children are not developmentally ready to read in kindergarten. In addition, the pressure of implementing the standards leads many kindergarten teachers to resort to inappropriate didactic methods combined with frequent testing. Teacher-led instruction in kindergartens has almost entirely replaced the active, play-based, experiential learning that we know children need from decades of research in cognitive and developmental psychology and neuroscience."
So that's it for week the short list drawn up from the very long list!



No comments: