Wednesday, February 25, 2015

In the Garden January 2015- A Comparison

My garden is in a sad and sorry state and it all comes down to water and sun.... we have way too much of the latter and can't keep up with the former. The photos in the top row are from Auckland I put my veges in at the start of December and 5-6 weeks later the garden bed was lush and green and full enough to hide the cat. I think I watered maybe every second day but it didn't matter if I missed a day.
The bottom row is here in Perth the veges and flowers went in a couple of weeks earlier and 6-8 weeks later most of the flowers, lettuce and strawberries are dead and the growth on the rest was fairly pitiful. There are no cats around here but even if there were I don't even think they'd go to the toilet in this garden. I water it daily- twice on the hot days. To miss a day will mean another plant dies.

 And here's the back lawn. Lush and amazing in June and a barren dessert in January. In our defence we thought the sprinklers were set to run for longer and so the lawns were only getting 2 minutes when it should have been more like 15 for the bulk of the spring and summer. That said it's just so dry here it's not really suited to lawns.
  ♥

No comments: