Monday, September 1, 2014

This week on the web...

Have you ever watched an RSA Animate You Tube clip? They are talks- generally by an expert (often Ted talks) animated as you watch. Super cool- I like the one called Quiet about introverts with Susan Cain and Brene Brown's one on Empathy.

Sigh.... Peg with Pen: Parents I can't Protect your Children. This is where Australia and New Zealand are heading. Don't believe me? It's already happening Teachers are being told to look for stress and metal health issues and to encourage resilience in children because they know what they are doing is shite. What teachers? The ones that teach your 3, 4, 5 and 6 years olds.
You see, we are not supposed to share with you the developmentally inappropriateness of kindergarten classrooms in our buildings. We also sign agreements that prohibit us from telling you about the child that cried through the entire high stakes test or the child who bit his finger nails to the quick during the test. We are not supposed to tell you that the report cards are a joke and mean nothing. We are not supposed to tell you that your children don't even have to take these tests and that these tests are culturally and racially biased. We are not supposed to tell you that the children are bouncing off the walls because they only get one fifteen minute recess a day. We aren't supposed to tell you that the new "big thing" is brain breaks in order to help your children cope with the fact that they aren't allowed to have more recess.

This week I discovered Kids Discover which is a super cool site that has a variety of resources relating to science and social studies. You need to sign up but it's free and totally worth it to be able to download some cool infographics, infopacks and also lesson plans if you are in need of such. :-) A super cool site for science loving kids!

I found an online store with some unique stuff in particular I liked their vintage kids toys especially the Kaleidoscope kit which I think would be a super cool gift. And the cushion covers with the hot air balloon. I did note that they are on-selling $5.95 Ikea Cushion covers for $20 though and that's dodgy!!

I learned I was a breakfast evangelist. And then I stopped being one. Which is great because I am tired of telling Merenia that she needs to eat breakfast before school. She, unlike Kieran who does eat breakfast, takes lunch to school. And they both eat a healthy dinner- so I can relax and not stress her breakfast-less state.

I'm a little obsessed with maps lately... generally world maps that include a decent depiction of NZ and Australia. I really want one as a stamp. In the meantime though it'd be cool to make do with these:


Awesome colours from Etsy seller: My Bearded Pigeon.


They also make these as well.... I thought this one was funny, but I'd love to have the second one hanging up on our school cupboard.




Live Dream Create 1 make some of the coolest play food I have seen on Etsy- it would be so hard to choose a select few favourites it's all so good- lucky they have a subscription scheme! They have some cute soft toys as well.


The art works in the Paper Cut Out Store are equally stunning in their own way. This stuff is always so intricate and considered it blows my mind how it can be done!





And finally this week....Let us eat cake.... Library cake!

 

No comments: