Monday, July 28, 2014

This week on the web....

Teacher Tom Post of the week: Because it's Hard.

I don't know how I never found Let the Children Play before! Playful awesomeness from Australia!

An Open Letter  to my Son's Kindergarten teacher could have been written by me.... except for the bit where she's an academic teaching teachers and I'm so not. :-)

Scrapbooking Product release news: My two fave digital designers now have lines with Gossamer Blue. Liz from Paislee Press and Peppermint from One Little Bird. I hope we see some in Australia!!

From the 'sometimes-I-wonder-how-I-stumble-over-this-stuff' files: I read an article on Politico  written by a Zillionaire this week and I'm sharpening my pitchfork because I doubt anyone will be all that keen to heed his advice... but I'd be happy enough to polish my Eftpos card if they were. :-) I found the stats on the shift in wealth pretty mind blowing!

The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.

I don't do 'politics' so much but I do wish I'd watched more Jon Stewart when I had the opportunity. This clip is an oldie, but a goodie.

As well as dumping the sugar from our lives I'd like to eradicate some of the wheat... it's a hard ask but some of these recipes look pretty darn good.

I hate water but need to ditch my fave Bitter Lemon cordial, so this 12 ways to drink more H2O from IQS was a handy read with some cool ideas!

Also on IQS a recipe for sugar free Chocolate Caramel slice.

The Book Depository's list of best kids books ever is not even close to right. And there are far too many Julia Donaldson books on there (and at the wrong age stage in my opinion) but there are still some awesome books on there including all of Julia Donaldson's which is why I am sharing it.

This, right here, is a pretty good list of books you should read, if you want to, with your own personalised amendments. I have a couple of friends I'd like to make this list with- it'd be a damn fine list.

Some of these rung very true for me and I did laugh out loud: 33 reasons why Mums are late.

I've been reading Tara Whitney's Blog a lot this week (she's a super awesome portrait photographer) and I love the 6 People/12 months Project she did in 2010. I'm super keen to do it next year as a 12 month project as the last year with all six of us at home... but just thinking I might start now.

I actually read a lot of Tara's blog- she has a great voice and it made me keen to write some stuff but also scared... more scared than keen. I shared some of her thoughts and feelings. These posts in particular struck me.
Corner
You Are Here
Torrey Pines

Often when I'm looking at a web site that multiple similar items for sale I like to pick what I'd get for people I know. So when I was looking around the Etsy Store The Rekindled Page I picked these ones out...


 Les

Tama or me... probably me. :-)

Will

Me. :-)

 And I'd send this one to Eden Riley- because it reminds me of her and her brother.


This is from Vintage Filament. I'd get this for Les... just a fun and  simple way to register my interest... you know when I'm in the mood and all.


 These are super cool! I liked pretty much everything at Milk Street Studios. These are for our dream house.


A little night light from Mouton Cerise... for Tama who has finally moved out of the parental bedroom! 


I dream of owning a Library card catalogue... these would be the penultimate I think- those babies are beautiful!! And just a measly US$2000 plus um shipping... a bargain!

On the fun side of things Weird Al's Word Crimes Video is worth the watch (JIM you'll like it!)!  And Scrapbooker's may enjoy the Lame Claim to Fame one as well. I do love how he got the Kevin Bacon meme in there.

And that was: My Week on the Web! 

 

No comments: