Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Books


Asking me to choose one two or even a few Christmas books is liking asking me to choose which of my arms I'd like to cut off. I just can't do it!

Before I start on my list I'd just like to say that somewhere out there is a girl who would have graduated Dunedin College of Education in 1996 or 1997. Her name is Bobbi (or Bobby) and at the end of her second year (1995) she has a teaching practicum in a religious school. I was at the end of my final year and I think I overheard her saying she was having a tough time finding resources relating to Christmas. I loaned her some books and my awesome collection of Christmas cards and postcards collected from some 60+ penpals I had around the world. The books ALL had my contact details in the front cover. She NEVER contacted me to give them back. Late in January 1996 I left Dunedin for good but my uncle still remained at my previous address so if she had called I'd have known. This loss was huge and expensive and heart breaking, many of those items were irreplaceable and what you did Bobbi/y was unforgivable!

We buy a new Christmas Book every year this is something that was done when I was a child and I took it on myself long before I had children of my own. (I'm not going to give heaps of details here I don't want to do a book review on each if you are considering getting any of these on my recommendation ask me questions first and I'll give more information.)

Number one on my list of Christmas books it The Grinch Who Stole Christmas By Dr. Seuss- it Rocks.

A book of Christmas by Tasha Tudor. I had this as a kid and I just loved it it has an advent calendar in the middle and some other pop-up and spinner type bits. I love the traditional illustrations. It talks a little about the practices surrounding Christmas in other countries and also about the Christian Christmas Story.

Every house should have at least one copy of "The Night Before Christmas" and it should be a good one with fantastic illustrations like this one!

Love, love, love the Church Mice books! And this is one of the best and funniest. The illustrations are fantastic in their detail and comedy and the story is really funny as well.

This is a sequel to "The Little Mouse The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear". Cool illustrations nice story and a great message.

The Jolly Christmas Postman has lots of envelopes with letters and cards and other fun stuff- the interactiveness of the story is what makes it so much fun.

I've had this book since I was a kid and there's nothing spectactular about it just a nice sweet story that I really like.

We love Lucy Cousins and we love Maisy- so of course we love Maisy's Christmas.

Another one from my childhood.


Good old classic Kiwi take on The Night Before Christmas.

Even if you aren't religious I think it's important for kids to have an understanding of the Christian story of Christmas because it's really hard to truly respect the beliefs of others if you know nothing about them. How can you avoid saying something rude or offensive if you don't know the situation. This Nativity Story is beautifully illustrated by Julie Vivas. It tells the story with some traditional language which may be a bit of a challenge for younger children but add an interesting dynamic for older ones.


Twenty-Five December Lane is our Christmas book for 2009 it has special meaning for our family this year and we have also brought it as a gift for some friends. The illustrations are fantastic and the story is very sweet.

No comments: